[mapscotch] – [bombscotch]
ongoing performance series
Using the old street game of hopscotch as a model in this series, players either design their own versions of a hopscotch or encounter one in the gallery. [mapscotch: bombscotch] asks players to remember instances of US military atrocities.
One instance of the instruction set is [bombscotch], focused on mass violence; another is focused on US military atrocities.
The potential for play to act as a tool for empowerment, community building, collaboration, and cultural change is a significant motivating factor in my location-based media projects. Play can always also be critical. Thinking that embodiment is a great means to experience such a critique by making challenging topics more visceral and experiential, I created[mapscotch], a set of rule-based, site-specific games which generate public discussion on contemporary social issues.
- PLAYMODE exhibition at the MAAT – Museum of Art, Architecture and Technology in Lisbon, Portugal, October 2019
- Push Play, Vicki Myhren Gallery, University of Denver, Denver, Colorado, October 12 – December 31 2017
- Push Play, Hedreen Gallery, Seattle, Washington, January 12 – March 4 2017
- Museum London, London, Ontario, Canada, January 30 – May 8 2016
- The Rooms, Provincial Art Gallery Division in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, May 27 – August 28, 2016
- Free Play, College of Wooster Art Museum January 18 – March 6 2015
- Free Play, Art Gallery of Greater Victoria in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, April 25 – August 3 2015
- Free Play, Handwerker Gallery, Ithaca College in Ithaca, New York, October 1 – November 6 2015
- Free Play, Arcadia University Art Gallery, Glenside, Pennsylvania, 2014
- Free Play (Public Street Game), ICI, Henry Gallery, Seattle, Washington, June 2013
- Conflux Festival, New York, New York, 2007
“MAAT’s Playmode Exhibition Intertwines Art and Games,” Cool Hunting, January 13 2020.
Marchese, Kieron. “ ‘ping pond’ and other twisted classics at MAAT’s playmode exhibition,” Designboom, January 12 2020.